Monday, November 17, 2008

ART WORKSHOP

Hello all,

As said in my email, the art workshop will be on Fish Kites, specifically Carp Kites inspired by the Japanese.


It'll be made with crepe paper and flown with kite strings attached to a thin wooden pole. I thought of it about two weeks ago when I saw a family flying multiple kites at this large field. The parents flew this box kite, the children had super hero kites. It was kind of cute how the box kite suggests control and structure (parents) while the Superman and Hawk kites suggests freedom and joy (kids).


(Picture above are crazy carps swimming upriver)
So I thought we could make carp kites. Carps are known for their psychotic determination to swim upstream no matter the odds. They are also fish with endurance for low oxygenated water. I thought it would be great if we got the children to make something they can have fun with and at the same time, symbolises an empowering message of strength, creativity and freedom. (Refer to Han Hsin's story in the slides)

There will be approximately 7 - 8 groups of kids. 4 -5 in each group. I need each of you to facilitate one group. It'll be fun!

And don't forget to bring 2 scissors and a glue stick each so I don't have to buy them.

See you girls on Friday!

---HIDAYAH, your friendly resident photographer

No comments: